Fancy a hassle-free winter on the road? Then run your car through our handy checklist for Top 10 Tips for safe Winter driving for your Audi, VW, Seat, Skoda & Bentley.
We REALLY hope you don’t break down, get stranded or have an accident but if anything not-so-merry does happen, you’ll be as prepared as you can be!
You can tick off most of these checks yourself and your garage can help with the rest.
- Carry an ice scraper and de-icer spray.
- Make sure there’s enough antifreeze in your car’s cooling system.
- Top up your washer bottle with a mix of water and screen-wash solution to prevent it from freezing.
- Don’t stop at 2 and 3! Check ALL fluid levels in your car: the oil, brake fluid and power steering fluid.
- Check your wiper blades and replace them if they’re worn – it makes a big difference in heavy rain or snow.
- Inspect your tyres for signs of uneven wear and deep-enough tread – 1.6mm is the legal limit, 3mm is recommended.
- Listen for the engine turning over slowly when starting – it’s a sign the battery could need replacing so have it checked.
- Ensure your car’s servicing is up to date. Don’t risk getting stranded in poor weather conditions because a fault suddenly develops.
- Make sure all lights are in full working order – it gets dark early these days.
- And finally, the Just-In-Case list: mobile phone charger, warm waterproof coat, gloves, boots, torch, water, chocolate, shovel, warning triangle, high-visibility vest.